Friday, March 20, 2009

My Health & a Colonial "Fix" --

Firstly, today the doctor said that my lungs sounded much much better . . . and I feel a lot better . . . but I still run out of breath with almost any type of exertion. In other words, I'm past the pneumonia but still need to take care for a while.

Then tonight I got a "Colonial Fix" with two Korda Brothers movies. The first was the 1938 film "The Drum" (also known as "Drums") -- difficult to catch all of the dialog due to the various accents, but great images of the Northwest Frontier including a mountain gun being set up.

The second was Korda's wonderful 1939 version of "The Four Feathers" . . . still the best version of this story. This one I'd seen before of course (indeed I have it on DVD too) but since it was on TV without commercials I watched it again.

And, yes, of course these make me want to do some more Colonial gaming.

But there's a problem. I started my Colonial collection with Ral Parthas (as did my California buddy, Bill S.); but when I moved to Canada all of his troops stayed in Califormia . . . and suddenly there were no Zulus or Mahdists.

Ral Partha was no more . . . so I ended up ordering a ton of Old Glory Colonials . . . and I've painted a bunch . . . but the two manufacturers do not mix! And I don't enjoy painting the OGs.

Now I've discovered that Great Endeavors has picked up the old Ral Partha Colonial line . . . and I'd like to get some . . . but then what to do with a few hundred Old Glory's (some painted, some not)?


-- Jeff

8 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Good to hear you are moving forward!
best wishes
Alan

Martin said...

Hi Jeff,

I am very relieved that you are feeling better! Pace yourself on the recovery though, pneumonia can be stubborn.

As for what to do with the OG Colonials, paint the rest of them, (If anyone asks tell them its part of your recovery therapy.) make a killing on E-bay, and plow the profits into purchasing what you want from Great Endeavors.

Think of it as an Old Soldier Recycling Program.

Yours,

Martin

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I'm with Martin... :o)

Capt Bill said...

All of Beerstein wishes you well! Best regards...

Fitz-Badger said...

When I had pneumonia as a kid I was out of school for a couple of weeks, and took another month getting back to normal, so I know it takes time to recover. It's good to hear you're on the mend! Take care of yourself!

I always preferred that version of Four Feathers, too (although the one with Beau Bridges was ok). I hadn't heard of The Drum (or Drums). I think I'll have to look for it.

I always liked the look of Ral Partha's Colonial minis. I had a small force of 15mm Mike's Models back in the day when TSATF was new.

Any chance of pics of your Ral Partha's?

DestoFante said...

Glad to hear about the improvement!

As for the OG figs -- I would go straight to eBay. You may or may not get the money you expect, but you will get some money, and make room in the closet.

DestoFante said...

Bartertown might be an alternative to eBay, too.

marinergrim said...

Glad to hear that things are improving.
Korda's version is the best (don't even bother with the dreadful Heath Ledger version).