Saturday, April 21, 2012

After Radiation --

Well I am back home after five days of radiation therapy down in Victoria.

I must say that everyone I came into contact with there was upbeat and helpful. Transportation down and back was provided free of charge by the British Columbia Cancer Agency and Freemasons . . . which was very very welcome indeed.

I stayed at the Vancouver Island Cancer Lodge . . . which was fantastic. Again all of the staff and volunteers had a very positive helpful attitude; and the facility is very accommodating indeed.

As for the radiation treatments themselves, I didn't feel a thing while they were happening. I just lay there and heard the buzzing noise. But afterwards they sure caused me a lot of fatigue (I'd go back to my room and sleep for a few hours); and some skin irritation as well.

Anyway I'm back home and my surgery is currently scheduled for Thursday but might get rescheduled since I've returned with a chest cold . . . and my wife doesn't think they'll want to sedate me for an expected five-hour surgery with congested lungs . . . but, this being the weekend, the doctors aren't available . . . and I'm hoping that I'll be over this before Thursday anyway.

I'll try to keep you posted.

-- Jeff

11 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Good to have you back on the blog and in your home again.
Hope the cold goes away-rest ,drink lots of water and allow your body to defeat the cold.
Any plans for some hobby thinking this week as you rest?
All the very best and be assured of our continuing prayers and thoughts..

best wishes
Alan

Phil said...

Best wishes jeff.
Can't imagine what you must be feeling and going through, but our thoughts are with you.
Phil

SteelonSand said...

All the absolute very best Jeff, stay strong; glad you had such a positive experience during your treatment - we'll all be thinking of you.

tidders2 said...

Nice to know you up and about and net surfing.

Best wishes for the future

-- Allan

marinergrim said...

Glad to see you home. Al the very best for the next stage

Graham C said...

Glad to see your back. We are all wishing you well and our thoughts are with you

Capt Bill said...

All of Beerstein is pleased to hear of your progress and are still anxious to hear of a full recovert...

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Glad to hear that the first session went so well. That Lodge is just up the road from my old stomping grounds.

Here's hoping the surgery goes even better.

-Ross

littlejohn said...

Absolute Very Best from myself and my young Aide de Camp here at the Lead Gardens....You are always and First the Inspiration!

PaintPig said...

good to see you interwebbing again jeff, best wishes from the erzerhog, raugrafin and all the citizens of hesse kassoulet.

Kelroy Was Here said...

Prayers sent by express carrier.